Monday, October 22, 2012

Do You Seek the Pleasures of the World or Seeking A Holy Life?

If I am seeking everything that can delight my senses

(William Law, "A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life")

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction--and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life--and only a few find it!" Matthew 7:13-14

If I am seeking everything that can delight my senses, and regale my appetites; spending my time and fortune in pleasures, in diversions, and worldly enjoyments--then how can it be said that I am working out my salvation with fear and trembling?

If there is nothing in my life and conversation that shows me to be different from the heathen; if I use the world, and worldly enjoyments, as the generality of people now do, and in all ages have done--then why should I think that I am among those few who are walking in the narrow way to Heaven?


Php 2:12  So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13  for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

No comments: