Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Similar Thread Between Piper and Driscoll Leaving

Timing is very important, and there's no such thing as a coincidence. The fact that both Driscoll and Piper have stepped down from key positions this week is one of those. I also noted a similarity in their reasoning.


Driscoll wrote:



Recently, I sensed that not all was well in Acts 29 As my concerns grew, I recently resumed the presidency of Acts 29 to work directly with our network captains, most influential pastors, and staff. It seemed to me that some of our relationships, board size and structure, communication, systems, and such were not as effective as we needed, which is to be expected to some degree in a large, complex, fast-growing entrepreneurial network such as ours.

Together, we decided, in light of all the complexity we’re facing, that the best thing for Acts 29 going forward would be for Matt Chandler to assume the presidency, move the network offices to Dallas, and select his Acts 29 staff.
In light of this, I want to sincerely thank the people of Mars Hill for investing millions of dollars over the years in Acts 29 and the people of The Village for being willing to house the Acts 29 headquarters.
End quote.
Most important, I am less competent at leading Bethlehem structurally and organizationally than I used to be. For about 30 years I was usually able to see through the complexities, and formulate feasible and exciting plans—always with the help of incredibly devoted and gifted partners in ministry. This is no longer the case. For two reasons: One is that Bethlehem is more complex than it used to be; and the other is that my energies and abilities for this kind of organizational and structural planning are diminished. If I were younger and more focused I might be able to do what I used to do. But I am not younger or more focused. This is a glorious moment in the history of Bethlehem, and it is not a time for less focus and energy for planning, but for more.

No comments: